Monday 28 March 2011

...Site Context

Yes, that's right, I did forget to upload my design concepts! What can I say -- I'm not a very good blogger am I? Now before I go into an analysis of the chosen site HOWARD SMITH WHARVES lets have a quick look at the boundaries we were given to design our Folie in.




Before I get into my design concepts lets have a little look at the site context -- this way I get an understanding of WHAT space I'm designing for, WHO I am designing for and perhaps along the way I can grab some inspiration from the site...

  PEDESTRIAN ACCESS - HERITAGE BUILDINGS - OPEN/FREE SPACE - FOLIAGE

Looking at the site, I notice the large open space currently used as a car park (highlighted in blue).To me this seems like a complete waste of space, it completely kills the atmosphere of the area and essentially repels people from wanting to visit the site. I was left questioning...

"HOW CAN I "TRANSFORM" THIS SITE TO "ATTRACT" THE PUBLIC?"

But before I get ahead of myself  -- I must ask WHO are the existing users of the site??

Thats right, Pedestrians. After researching the site, I realised the sole users of the site are either cyclists, joggers or pedestrians. The site is not  exactly designed to be a place for stopping , resting and admiring, in fact, at night the site is rather dark and shadowy, so much so that the first thing the user thinks is "Get me out of here" -- perhaps it makes the joggers run faster and the cyclists cycle faster? Who knows?




Another deterrent is the construction/Industrial element of the site. Walking in between two wire fences and large Sheds (Heritage Listed Buildings) really does make the user question their SAFETY. And if that's the case, who would want to visit the site??

SO what has the SITE got going for it? Well in my opinion, I think the FOLIAGE is the real beauty behind the site along with the close proximity to the Brisbane River. In combination with the breathtaking views that span out across the river to the City is what truly marks this as a potentially magical site.

WHAT DO I ENVISION you may ask?? I envision a site of natural beauty where nature is its driving force.




No comments:

Post a Comment